An element belonging to the Sports Interactive team posted a list of fixes that they are implementing for the next patch. They’re hoping to get it released next week.
The full list has a fair amount of important fixes, but it raises a few concerns. Browsing through the list, it’s easy to spot several items described with “some minor fixes”, “some refinements”, “some fine tuning”… personally, as you can guess if you’ve read my review, I don’t think that the game needs just minor tweaks. Major changes on the match engine are required and, although some fixing is already a nice start, I doubt that it will be enough.
My second concern lies on the reason for the release date:
Btw the main reason we cant release this yet is that we are quite low on shots and goals – too many defensive fixes. Hopefully we can get it back to a reasonable number on each count in time to release next week.
This lack of balance may cause issues if it’s counter-balanced the wrong way. Everything can go well if they handle it with proper tweaks and fixes, but there’s always the chance of force-fixing ruining the balance and, given the short timeline mentioned, I feel that’s a serious risk. I also don’t see the lower amount of shots as a problem, as currently I’m frequently getting an abusive amount of those. The lower amount of goals might also be positive if it helps get rid of the cricket-style scores, as long as we’re not looking at a massive streak of goalless matches.
Finally, there are also plenty of vague mentions, like “Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles”. Tried? I hope it’s just a wording issue and they mean “fixed”, otherwise I’m seeing here another source for more issues.
In short, it’s positive that a much needed update is on the way and they do seem to be focusing on some important aspects. However, the announcement raises some concerns that the game might not yet reach the level FM fans expect of it.
Here’s the full post that was placed on their board:
Further update – this is where we are at so far:
- Refined position of d-line and also the lines in front of it when defending
- Brought wingers a bit deeper when defending
- Weaker players more likely to favour direct passes quicker
- Improved short pass accuracy slightly
- Tried to increase number of crosses slightly
- Fine tuned shot accuracy
- Fixed some minor player on ball decision bugs
- Improved trajectory of medium length kicks like free kick shots and corners
- Made players better at offering out ball to team mate
- Tried to improve player reactions to deflected balls or tackles
- Made players more willing to slide tackle when opportunity and need arises
- Fixed some unnatural save directions from keepers
- Fixed keepers trying to save ball at wrong point when its heading for post or bar
- Made players slightly better at turning body while on the run
- Made strongest player stand ground when 2 players collide while going for a header
- Made goal celebration paths a little bit more varied
- Fixed comms saying ball well wide when not really that far wide
- Some ball physics collision tweaks
- Some team talk fixes
- Further tuned team shape and d-line position when defending
- AM strata now comes back to defend unless set to “all out attack”
- Made d-line shift up when opposing player with ball is successfully pressed
- Made d-line shift back quicker when attacking player is running with pace at them with the ball
- Some tweaks to marking of opponents in own area
- Fixed defenders shifting across as full back engages winger in last third causing bad shape
- Tried to reduce instances of players heading ball they could control a split second later
- Some minor fixes relating to player interception of ball
- Some refinements to off ball movement around ball player
- Some general tweaks to pass choice and on ball decision making
- Some more minor keeper save fixes
- Fixed some instances of woodwork hit not being registered
- Fixed player not waiting to getup before running off to celebrate after scoring a diving header
- Fixed ultra rare crash when player shoots from close range
- Further small refinements to on ball decisions and pass choice
- Improved direct free kick trajectory slightly
- Improved crossing aim AI
- Fine tuned pass and shot accuracy slightly
- Improved player reaction and awareness of ball generally
- Improved defensive tracking of player running with ball
- Slight reduction of player reaction time to fast curling balls
- Slight reduction of player reaction time when ball a long way away from them especially if not facing it
- Improved defender lateral positioning when defending wide ball
- Fixed winger not staying wide when asked to hug touchline and ball on his side in advanced position
- Goalkeeper should narrow the angle better when a play is running at him at speed
- Goalkeepers should try to move under the ball path even if they think they can’t reach it.
- Fixed a bug where the keeper fails to catch a ball if it has just hit the crossbar/post
- Fixed keeper turning ball over bar described as turning it round post
- Fixed some player collision avoidance issues
- Fixed a bug where an offside is given instead of a free kick
for a foul
- Stop a rare teleport bug with goal celebrations
- Fixed animation issues whilst player argues with ref
- Fixed small anomaly in team selection AI
Btw the main reason we cant release this yet is that we are quite low on shots and goals – too many defensive fixes Hopefully we can get it back to a reasonable number on each count in time to release next week.